Friday, April 16, 2010

Reflection Journal

An experience that taught a great deal about myself happened about fifteen years ago when I was a junior in high school. At the time, I lived in a family environment that was very closed and old-fashioned. I was not allowed to do the regular extracurricular activities like my fellow classmates. Nor was I able to create strong friendships, as I was unable to invite friends to our house and was seldom allowed to visit theirs. Also, there was an inability to efficiently communicate between members within my family. Misunderstandings would often occur and create friction between us. Finally, during the summer of my third year of high school, after a heated exchange at home, I decided to leave.

During the next half a day, while I was leaving my home, I had a lot of time to think about my life, including what was going on with my personal life and my relationship with family members. After much thought and reflection, I began to understand the intricacies of relationships. I knew that although I was unhappy with the situation at home, I could not personally change the habits and personalities of my family. How they reacted to situations was brought about from years of habit or experience and whatever they did now, they would probably do the same into the future. And although I might feel that there was something inherently wrong about life at home, my family might feel that it is the norm from their own perspectives. Their values were different than my own.

In the end, I made the difficult decision to leave permanently. Although I was young at the time, I was fortunate to have a more forward-thinking relative who took me in for the next few years. Thus, the experience of leaving was so profound because it was the first time that I truly made a hard choice and made a stand that would impact my future considerably. Moreover, I learned responsibility and truly how to think as a free individual. After several years, I resumed the relationship with my family, but in a different way. Now I have an untroubled mind, as the concerns I had before with them are no longer my burden.

No comments:

Post a Comment